Sunday, May 21, 2023

Lisette B6296 pyjamas for Lidia

This was a fun (challenging) sew.

Once upon a time, there was a Med student whose Mum sewed clothes for her . One day, she messaged her Mumma and asked her to make some fancy japamas. Something smart that she could change into when she got home from University. Something snappy to not be embarrassed if people dropped in and luxurious to cheer her up if she had experienced a trying day. Said mother had developed a taste for Facebook Market Place and had seen a vintage brocade. The fabric had been purchased in the 1960's but was still in the original bag and pristine. The lovely parent sewed it up and the Med student was best pleased. The End.


My pattern of choice? Lisette B6296.

Made just a few times before...
Don't you just love it when you sew something that works out perfectly.

I sewed Lidia the size 10 top (with slightly narrowed shoulders) and the size 12 bottoms (with an inch removed from the length)

The pyjamas are piped with an 'Old Gold' satin piping I purchased from eBay The buttons vintage and also from eBay.

I piped all that I could pipe.
Grrr, it didn't line up....
The fabric frayed very quickly, so much so that I didn't cut each piece until needed and even though I decided to line them I overlocked all the seams as well to stop them unravelling.

I used cotton lawn as a lining. I simply dropped in a second 'main' with wrong sides together, overlocking the edges (that fraying was bonkers). 

I applied the cuffs (after interfacing and adding piping) to the inside and then wrap the around, enclosing the raw edges and topstitching from the right side.

This differs from the pattern instructions but I like the neater finish.
With the lining, there are not any raw edges at all!

I chose to stitch down the facing, it stops it curling and makes laundering easier.

You can barely notice the stitching.
To line the bottoms, I partially sewed the leg, sans waistband and cuffs, and then used that as a template to cut the lawn. I added a few cm to the length to avoid any 'pulling' from the lining. 
As the back is sewn to a yoke I folded that in half to make my template.
I then put the lining and main, wrong sides together and then treated them as one. Attaching the waistband and cuffs, enclosing all the raw seams.

~Lidia's Verdict~
 I joined a club that does Medicine themed musicals called Med Revue. We had our first rehearsal, themed your best (even royal) Pyjamas. Being very new to clubs, musicals and plays I wanted to nail the theme. 
 Already in need of new Pjs it was the perfect excuse to have some rather extravagant ones made. We went all out with the bright pinky-red fabric with gold details. I love them and was given many compliments. 
 There is really no critique in my opinion for these ones. The fabric is amazing, the buttons and gold piping matched perfectly. The lining makes them feel so comfortable. 
In addition the pattern is a tried and true, I think I have at least two other pairs of pjs with them and intend to have many more made.  Mumma nailed it again! 
~My Verdict~
This fabric was tricky to sew but the results were so worth it. The lining added substance and a quality feel to the garment. 
Liddy is not planning in sleeping in these, just studying and being her fabulous self.
There is enough fabric left to make a dressing gown, which I think could look equally fabulous BUT I need a break first.


Snappy, home and away japamas.

For my beautiful girl.


Thank you for reading... xx Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment