Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Lekala #4723 skirt for Lidia

 'Mumma, I need skirt for placement, it has to be down to my knee and have pockets and I need to be able to squat in it. I don't have time to choose a pattern, please may you and it needs to be cute'

Zara made these banners for me, for Insta, I love them!

I decided a wearable muslin of Lekala #4723 may pass the test.


The cute rounded pockets were very easy to sew but I was disappointed that they are very small. I had hoped they were a kangaroo pocket and would reach all the way through, but, alas, no.

 I made the belt loop longer so Lids can wear her thicker belts.


The back has a yoke and two pockets, jeans skirt styling and does up with a side zip. I inserted it with a flat opening but next time I would lap it and possibly make a fly shield.


The skirt has a nice 'pegged' finish, a good deep hem and a well constructed kick pleat which allows for squatting.

I sewed the skirt up in a black drill of which I have a huge roll. It is very handy for this sort of thing.

I was very  pleased with the fit, as I had an absent client and the pattern was made based on saved measurements. 

I like the back pockets, they are a good size in proportion to her derriere.

But the pockets are simply not big enough.

~Lidia's Verdict~

Mum came to the rescue with this skirt, I messaged her asking for one because I needed a range of professional clothes and she whipped one up like magic. 

The photos we took, ended up being just with the outfit I had on prior, but swapping the bottoms and it is one of my favourite ways to wear it.

 It’s exactly what I wanted but not something I would usually wear so it will take a bit of trial and error to find some more ways to style it. I love the colour ,how It’s a clean, solid look. The pocket fits my stethoscope which is a win, and a rare one, especially in skirts. 


I’d quite like a tan one made eventually, I don’t think I’d make any changes to the pattern. I’d have it just the same as this one. Maybe a longer side zip so it’s a bit easier to get on, it’s not too bad though and I guess that’s tailored fitted clothing! 


It’s a lovely piece to add to my professional collection, and I feel quite the part when I’m wearing it.

~My Verdict~

This skirt was a quick and fun sew. Liddy is pretty happy to delegate  pattern selection to me and is a good client to sew for. She gives great feedback and excellent constructive criticism. 

I think this skirt would also be a fun canvas for patchwork-ed fabric, either denim or coloured drill.


Thank you for reading... xx Nicole 





2 comments:

  1. Liesl and Co has a straight/a-line skirt with slash pockets (a newer pattern). It may not pass the "cute" test. But an option. Here's the link. As a new/young professional it is a challenge to find work appropriate clothing that still feels like "you". https://oliverands.com/shop/garibaldi-a-line-skirt-sewing-pattern.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodie, that skirt is lovely and you just know, being a Liesl Gibson, it will be so nice to sew. Thank you for you comment, I know it is hard to comment on blogs now and I appreciate you going to the effort for the recommendation.

      Delete