Sunday, April 30, 2023

Alpha Patterns Kira Milkmaid dress for Matilda

 

Matilda badly wanted a Milkmaid dress. She has tried them on each shops and, quite frankly, they looked awful. Tilly is only 14 but has a very full bosom, the dresses she tried were not a good fit. After some Googling I ended up on Etsy and the Alpha Patterns Kira dress was on sale at 70% off so I thought we would give it a go.


It had many good reviews so I was quietly confident she would get the goods.
To start with, although the bra cups are self lined, the rest of the dress is not. I was not happy with that so I dropped a lining in.

I used cotton poplin for this and basted then clipped and then pressed the seam allowance. This was hand basted in place and then top stitched from the right side.


I had a terrible time fitted the gathered sleeve in to the bodice. The notches did not match and there just seemed to be too much fabric. I could not make rhyme nor reason from the instructions and if had not been such pretty fabric (French poplin) I would have thrown the whole dress in the bin.


The skirt is a full, gored skirt that has very little gathering at the waist. It was very snug on Tilly although she measured in the size I chose.


It is quite hard to see but the two cups are gathered by a drawstring and tied at the front. There is little support (in the bust area) it is very soft.


The fabric is very pretty.

I sewed one of my signature silver 'E's at the centre front.


Of course Tilly looks as cute as a button.


And I am reasonably happy with the fit.

But I won't sew it again.
In truth, I threw the pattern in the bin.
I cried sewing this thing. I was so worried that I had wasted the beautiful fabric. It took me two full days to sew. Although it does fit, she doesn't really wear it. I think she feels a bit vulnerable in it as you can't wear a bra.

I think there are better Milkmaid dress patterns out there. Vikisews makes the Nola dress which I would try, if another is required.

I really don't like being critical of an Indie pattern but I did not like this one at all. I think if you were after something 'cheap and cheerful' and not too fussed about a good finish, fine.
But it's not for me.

~Matilda's Verdict~
I don't normally wear dresses but I like this one. My Pinterest boards are full of these dresses, and  I could not find one that fitted me in stores. The fabric was a bit of a lucky find, but I managed to get my hands on it before Lidia saw it.  I like the fit of the dress around the waist, and the length of the skirt, with my wee little legs, But I do feel slightly constricted in the bodice, and arms of the dress, although that may be because I am not used to wearing dresses. Only being 14, I also feel a bit vulnerable, with the style of the bodice meaning I can't wear a wired bra.  


There you go, a pretty dress pattern but not for us.

Thank you for reading.... xx Nicole








2 comments:

  1. I love the fabric and the wonderful gift you give your children when you sew custom clothing for them that they wouldn't be able to buy (even though this one didn't work out). I aspire to do the same with my sewing. (I'm a few years back from you -- my oldest is a little younger than your youngest.) Thank you for still blogging. I have been really enjoying this burst of posts from you over the last few weeks. I think of you often when I sew, and I try to emulate you with "ninja cutting," a rota, etc. Written with much fondness from Pennsylvania, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana, thank you for such a lovely comment.
    With sewing, you definitely win some and lose some but I try and see it as learning new skills.
    I am unbelievably touched to think of you thinking of my blog when you sew. I love that!
    You have made my day. xx Nicole

    ReplyDelete