Thursday, April 13, 2023

Viki Sews Sylvie dress for Lidia

 So, I received some awesome feedback on the Adeline trousers


(Hi Stacey)!

Now let me show you the Sylvie dress

*From the website* Sylvie is a semi-fitted dress with a fitted waist. The dress features a waistline seam, faux wrap front and waist pleats. There is a double layer yoke at the back with the shoulder seam shifted toward the front. The bodice is gathered at the front and back waist. The front skirt consists of two overlapping parts and features pleats in the left-hand side seam. The dress has a foldover collar with a collar stand, a deep V-neckline, and a slightly extended shoulder line. The set-in sleeves are long and semi-fitted. The bottom of the sleeve features pleats and a bias-bound slit. The sleeves are finished with cuffs with a button and loop closure. The dress closes with an invisible zipper in the left-hand side seam. The dress is above-knee length.


Liddy rang me, very excitedly, to tell me there was to be a Jazz evening at the University that she attending and that may she please, please, please have a new dress?

Cuff detail with vintage silk Chinese knot button

I had already purchased the stunning silk/cotton from Designer Ends and although the pattern suggested a medium weight cloth and this is very light I thought it may work...

The back.

It did but was definitely too light. The cuffs, collar and front facing which are interfaced are perfect but the rest of the dress, while deliciously floaty, is a bit thin and lacks structure.

My signature 'E' sewn on the back yoke.
I thought about dropping in a lining but as I sewed after having some fairly narly dental surgery I just didn't have the brain capacity to nut that out.

Considering I sewed this without a single fitting and sent it to Town with her boyfriend I am pretty jolly pleased with the fit. Liddy picked up a slip and her flat mate trimmed the neck line to match.

The dress is so elegant and I love the way it looks like a two piece.

Although too fine a fabric ideally for this dress it will be a lovely wear for Summer events and as Lids is extremely fair and burns easily she will be able to be covered up AND keep cool.


~My Verdict~

My second Viki Sews and the love affair continues...

The step by step instructions were fabulous. I learnt so many new techniques. A few of the steps had me scratching me head (basting, pressing, removing basting) but OMG the result was so good!  

 The only grumble I had is my zipper installation was not flawless. I followed the instructions faithfully but it was a bit lumpy, that said, it may have been the light fabric choice. The pattern calls for an invisible zipper and I am not a fan of those (I have unpicked far too many that have broken). It is not noticeable when worn though.

Very soggy Med students, it rained!


~Lidia's Verdict~

 I wore this dress for my first Med event, an outdoor Jazz night.

 Styled with fleeced lined tights and a thermal slip, it looked so lovely and was so warm! 

I’m very excited to also have it for warm weather, the light fabric will mean I won’t get hot but still feel fabulous. 

The colour of the fabric is so special and so so pretty. 

 The silhouette is also a little bit different to what I usually wear, but I really love it! 

I felt like the draping gave me more shape and balanced out my broader shoulders with the rest of me.  It’s so gorgeous, will be wearing it many times again!


Thank you for reading .... xx Nicole 

With my 'Superman' baby, born face up with her arm extended.




 







No comments:

Post a Comment