Monday, April 17, 2023

Kwiksew 3389 coveralls for Matilda


Last year, Matilda's class went on a day trip to the  Naracoorte Caves
As they were doing a cave dive, Tildy asked me to make her some coveralls.

I had Kwiksew 3389 in my pattern stash and as her chest and hip fit into the Small sizing I decided to give them a go. From the pattern packet Men's coveralls are sized to be worn over clothes. They have extended shoulders, hidden front zipper and snap at top, inset waistband, tucks on back, yoke, collar, side pockets, breast and back patch pockets, and side slits to access inside pockets. View A has full-length sleeves, and View B has short sleeves.
This was a relatively straight forward sew but it was a big sew. There were a lot of pieces to this pattern and it was quite fabric hungry. I used a solid 4.5 metres of mercerised cotton drill (from a bulk roll I purchased from eBay a few years back)


Like all Kwiksew patterns, it sewed up well with all markings being accurate and the pieces lining up nicely.

These coveralls have the features of the purchased ones.

Even what Tilly so charmingly named a 'scratch your balls' opening.


The action back has good ease.


And good long legs!

Alas, too long and Tildy ended up just wearing jeans and a thick sweater (and everyone else did too)

They are definitely being used though. Tilly has used them several times when doing big messy jobs like washing down the header and the tractors after harvest. Lidia has used them painting and I even squeezed into them and wore them painting as well.

When I was looking for a link to share this pattern I was saddened to find out Kwiksew has been discontinued. However, I found this pattern listed on numerous sites, such as eBay and Etsy.

If you are looking for coveralls, I throughly recommend this pattern. The sizing definitely leans towards the male end of Unisex, the XS was far too big for Tildy but she is petite and only 5 foot tall,


I just had to sneak some pretty Liberty in.


Thank you for reading... xx Nicole 












 

No comments:

Post a Comment