Saturday, May 27, 2023

République du Chiffon Danielle Dungarees for Nicole partie un

I have swopped out jeans for dungarees in my capsule wardrobe and I couldn't be happier.
These are my favourite 

 


For my first pair, I made the size 42 in a black, very stretchy drill.
As I have more tummy than bottom I felt like there was a lot of fabric in the back. Zara was happy to take them off my hands if they didn't suit.
Black is horrible to photograph.


They were fine but I felt a few tweaks could make them a better fit.
So, with a few pattern modifications, I tried again,
Fabulous!
Compare the pair.
I sewed the second pair in some vintage Bull denim from deep stash, rigid, no stretch at all.
I lowered the waist by removing a few cm's height from the bottom leg top.

I kept all the width in the front but I did take in the back panel bottoms to narrow the fit. This way I kept tummy ease but removed the extra fabric at the back.
I also added length to the leg so I could fold a cuff.

The snugger fit at the back is more what I was after.
I really like the back panel, it is so warm and comfortable and the straps do not fall off my shoulders.
It also nicely covers some of the 'back bulge' from my bra.
I need the extra tummy room as my waist fluctuates and I find firm things uncomfortable.
No muffin tops in dungarees.
I went all out with the jeans styling with this pair, lots of topstitching with heavy, copper coloured jeans thread.
I purchased my buckles from eBay They take a few weeks to arrive but they are adequate quality.

The front pocket is perfect to pop my reading glasses in.
I am so happy with this sew, the few modifications were easy and made such a difference.
Zara took my original pair and styles them with a fitted top.
She is super cute!
~My Verdict~

A big sew.
The initial tracing of the pattern is a large task, there are a lot of pieces. That said, it sews up very easily but do follow the instructions faithfully. The pocket/button facing is a little counter intuitive and I did have to unpick that after I assumed (after sewing many pairs of jeans) that I knew what I was doing.
Pressing well is important too.
I would suggest making a wearable muslin pair first, possibly in a stretch woven, to check your fit.
I also suggest lining the waist sections in self fabric, not a cotton contrast, as they will wear better. My original pair is starting to wear through, even with the interfacing I applied.
They may be stiffer in the beginning but that will settle down.
I would add extra length to the leg too. I am not tall, 163cm (5' 2) and I had to add length. 
You can always shorten them.

I thoroughly recommend this pattern.

Thank you for reading.... xx Nicole 












 

2 comments:

  1. I love love love them Nicole!!! I wish I had a pair :D

    ReplyDelete

  2. Jun 8, 2023
    Thank you Kristin, they are great for out changing bodies. Much love to you xxx Nicole

    ReplyDelete