Saturday, November 18, 2023

Sewist #137368 Dress for Nicole, for Elsa's Wedding


Elsa and Nic were married in September and it was a wonderful day.
I did not sew her beautiful dress (just made a few minor alterations) but I did sew plenty of other clothing for the occasion.

I adore my dress. I made the pattern on Sewist

I had a very definite dress in mind. Full length, full skirt, cross over bodice and empire line. 

This website allowed me to 'design' it and the use my custom measurement to create a perfect fit.

 The pattern was spot on!
I chose  to fit the bodice a little firmer, for looks, however this resulted in a very snug fit and would not have been practical for every day.


I fitted the dress to be firm but not tight.

The fabric was a joy to sew with.

I purchased it from Designer Ends  and I thoroughly recommend having a peep at their goods.



The fabric they stock is rather unusual and usually a good width so a very economical sew to boot!


As the wedding reception was held in a shed (barn) I knew it would be cold and I didn't want to layer with a heavy coat. I was quite warm in this light weight wool.

I deliberately chose a contrasting (but beautiful) lining as I wanted it to be a feature when the dress fell open at the sleeves and side splits.


The lining was also purchased from Designer Ends and I only had just enough to make the dress (and indeed, I had to piece one sleeve lining)


The fabric fell beautifully.

A deceptively full but elegant skirt.


The pattern instructions did not include a lining.


I decided to self line the bodice for warmth (and used the as a muslin fitting as well). As this style had a mock wrap this was a little fiddly.


I decided to sew the front and back together at the shoulders, after attaching the lining at the waist seam.


I then fitted and sewed the side seams. The seam allowance was a generous 5/8th which allowed me to turn and flat stitch the seam.


All this inside finishes were so neat I decided to bind the arm seams too.


I am just so happy with this sew.


I can't believe a formal dress could be this comfortable.


I felt warm, comfortable and just fabulous.


A very special day.


Thank you for reading.... xx Nicole 




No comments:

Post a Comment