Thursday, March 10, 2016

She Wears Short Shorts

It should have been a relatively quick sew.
I have made them before....
The gorgeous Deer and Doe Chataigne shorts.
I wasn't paying attention and.....
Sewed, trimmed, under stitched and topstitched the pocket bag to the crotch seam.
My Insta gal-pals talked me off the edge.
So I fished them out the bin and kept going,
I cut the size 38 per Elsa's hip and tapered that to a 36 at her waist but I still needed to pinch a bit more out.
I altered the pattern pieces so now we are good to go!
I used a lovely draping linen (with a touch of poly)?
The fabric is quite floppy so I had to hand sew the cuff along the top edge or it fell down.
I used an invisible zipper for a neater finish.
The back flaps are purely decorative but very snappy, all the same.
The front pockets are lovely and deep.
Gorgeous on her!
Elsa also requested a couple of camisole tops.
Being a pyjama pattern it only calls for ribbon, for straps.
I wasn't that thrilled with the result so I used a bias tube for the next one.
The fabric is a shifty crepe-de-chine stuff, quite a Nana fabric but it did sew up nicely.
At her request, I left off the elastic casing.
Nothing Nana about this outfit.
The next version we cut a little shorter.
I sewed a deep hem, by hand (groan) and it does help the drape.
Her strapless bra has some padding and this one appears a little firm in the bust but it does't bother her so I shan't let it bother me!
Elsa and Zara cleaned my house from top to bottom over the school holidays and earned a goodly sum.
Both girls purchased themselves leather Biker jackets (which they are very very proud of)
Elsa wanted to show her sewing Aunties hers!

~Elsa's Verdict~
The shorts are cute and are not too long or too short. They are nice and loose which makes my legs look thinner.
I love the tops! They are nice and flow-y and show off my body shape. The cream top is to go with my brown and black blazer (that mum made) and the blue top was made to go with my orange leather jacket. 
Mum did a great job making these pieces and they are beautifully made but were done reasonably quickly. 

Aww, thanks Elsie. 

Thank you for reading, as always 

xx Nicole 

25 comments:

  1. I really like those shorts and you've made them fit perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, I am glad I pulled them out the bin. *snort*
      xx N

      Delete
  2. These are great. I especially love the blue dotted top - it is adorable and looks very well-made. That hand-sewing time was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing worse then a teenager discovering hand sewn hems, I loathe hand sewing hems but I know I should, double whammy!
      Thank you, it is sunshine and roses when Elsa is happy!
      xx N

      Delete
  3. Nothing Nana at all about that! My daughter would love those shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they are a gorgeous pattern. I had wondered about them for me but I think I need something a bit less 'waisted' for me.
      xx N

      Delete
  4. Wonderful garments and I WANT AN ORANGE LEATHER JACKET! Jealousy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just knew you would love it Lara.
      Liddy has her eye on it too, doesn't fit me (sad face)
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  5. Love those shorts! I like the blue spotted cami best too. And the orange jacket is incredible and goes really well with the cami.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love hearing how your recipients feel about your projects! I am not surprised to hear that these were a big hit, the shorts are the cutest style and so flattering on Elsa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Inder, this time i just handed her the post, rather then 'interviewing her'.
      I was pretty chuffed to read what she wrote, being a teen is hard, the last thing I want to do is put pressure on them to feel uncomfortable in their clothes.
      xx N

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous! I want to make those shorts for myself. I'm, ahem, not a teenager but maybe I could pull it off??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it Suze!
      I love them and I think Elsa is right, the not too firm leg is very flattering. I am tossing up between these, the Thurlow and the Lisette (Souvenir)? in a tweed fabric for Winter.
      I am well and truly past being a teen.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  8. Great outfits. Well chosen Elsa. I can see these classics all lasting a good while. Gorgeously tailoring as usual. Oh to spend a day sewing (learning) alongside you N!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renae, you are sweet!
      The Twins and I are trying to do the 'Capsule wardrobe' thing. It is actually really handy. They packed for me for our weekend away and they sort of went 'this goes with that' and it was done in 10 minutes!
      xx N

      Delete
  9. Lovely outfit. Had to laugh about the granny comment! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Sarah.
      We were given a huge box of georgette and silky stuffs and the Twin's dismissed it as 'Nana fabric'. I had noticed them trying a lot of slinky things on in shops so I hung on to some of it.
      A good thing I did!
      Thank you
      xx N

      Delete
  10. I don't know why I'm chuckling while reading Elsa's verdict! It's just too cute! The shorts are really flattering on her and the tops are great too! She is so tan and toned! Also, I am daydreaming about the day that my kids can clean my house from top to bottom for me! Thumbs up to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her so Rachel, she is strong and knows her mind!
      I am glad I didn't take too long to sew them up ;)

      Elsa and Zara did such a good job. I paid them $50 a room but they did everything. From washing ceilings to sorting cupboards.
      They even cleaned the globes in the heat lamps!
      xx N

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad you stepped back from the ledge and finished them because they look so sharp on her! Both cami's are lovely but I'm partial to blue ;-) Love the jacket! It is perfect with that cami!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was utterly fed up Kristin. I do find sewing a bit of a challenge as Trixie still has 2 feeds a night so I am tired!
    I did bin them but the fact it was linen .... well.. I sucked it up and had another go.
    Thank you, funny how they saw a camisole in a pj pattern.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those shorts are perfection. I wouldn't half as hot as Elsa, but I'm thinking I want a pair too!
    Nice work making camis that look neither like underwear or nightwear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Shelley.
    The less on these shorts are really nice, Elsa has strong thighs and they are not firm on her at all!
    I had other patterns that I thought were more suitable as tops but she liked the line drawing on this one, I don't argue much.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete