Thursday, March 14, 2019

Clever Charlotte Finch Shorts for Matilda #sneakyschooluniforms

Every now and then a very special pattern comes along.
The Clever Charlotte Finch shorts is one of those.
I have a full step by step tutorial if you would like some help with construction.
I made them many times for Elsa and Zara.
They loved them as they are very full in the bottom with a tailored front finish. This pattern goes up to a size 8, which the Twins are wearing above, aged 13.
I also made them for Lidia.
And Tiny Tilly!
Stretch linen with coconut shell buttons
 They are Matilda's favourite for school.
Stretch cotton sateen with bunny buttons.
She likes the ease the full bottom gives her but the elastic waist can be tightened for her little waist.
To make them a little more school suitable I drafted the pattern Size 5 length of Size 8.
It just gives some nice leg length without extra poof.
I like how little fabric is needed.
These were sewn from a jagged remnant of wool suiting.
I lined them with some silky red satin for warm and comfort.
For a full tutorial see here 
Another nice little school bottom pattern is the...
The Peridot pants
These are a size 5 length of size 7.
The pattern I drafted for Lidia, so cute!
They do up with a side zipper.
And the leg button up with elastic roulette'. 
I have a step by step tutorial for these too.
~Tildy's Verdict~
I love my bunny rabbit buttons.
I love the pleats and the tabs on the side.
They are so comfortable and easy to run in and I especially love the ones with red silk in them to make them extra warm!
~My Verdict~
I love the Finch shorts.
I have lost count of how many pairs I have made.
All the tabs and buttons are so sweet and make them a special sew.
They are a little fiddly with a lot of pieces. Front and back leg cuffs, front and back waistbands BUT this also makes them an excellent #ninjacutting project as you can face with a contrasting fabric.
The Finch shorts are very large sizing, I understand that this is a design choice but you can safely size back.
The Peridot trousers I have only made three times but I am surprised I have not made them more often.
They are another slightly fiddly sew (which I rather like) and the cuff placket can be a bit confusing but for a neat, slim fitting, designer pant, you can't go wrong.

I have packed Tilly's away now as they were getting a wee bit tight.
She was not pleased.
These are another great pattern to #ninjacut as they cut nicely from the leftovers from adult patterns.

I was a little sad to see the Clever Charlotte website appears to be no more. The patterns are now being stocked by McCalls which is bittersweet.
I really liked those designers.

Thanks for reading...  xx N

4 comments:

  1. They all look fabulous. I do recall those tan Peridot trousers and being quite in awe of them. Sadly I seriously shrunk the wool Finch shorts I'd made. Good to know I might still be able to use the size 8 next summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will definitely fit Miss A, they are very bloomy.
      I am gutted you shrunk your wool ones, if they are still okay, just little, I would love them.
      Thank you
      xx N

      Delete
  2. Still haven’t made these! But I find the CC patterns bigger. Do you find that? I was expecting to make a 4 last year on the vest but made a 3. These shorts are lovely and would be perfect for school - the peridot pants are gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find they run large, which is a bonus!
      Thank you
      xx N

      Delete