Saturday, March 23, 2019

Vintage Vogue 7387 Ball Gown for Zara

Last year, Zara asked me to make her a  gown for the Flinders University Educational and Psychology Ball. (phew)
She loved this OOP Vogue 7387 I had in my pattern stash.
I have no idea where this one came from, I am guessing an Op Shop as I don't know a Lynne with two 'N's.
It was a good pattern to make up for a absent client (Zara was in Adelaide).
The bodice is bias cut (so has ease) but has a ribbon waist stay (to create stability)
I altered the bodice to fit her tiny waist.
The skirt is also bias cut and was a nightmare to cut, I ended up cutting it on the floor as it was so full.
As the skirt is bias cut, it can 'drop' so after sewing, you are instructed to let it 'hang' for 24-48 hours.
Lidia had an orthodontist appointment in Adelaide so I took the opportunity to go up and do a fitting.
The extra wide seam allowance was perfect!
It gave us the ease we needed over her derriere and the waist was pretty much spot on!
I fitted the length of the straps and it was ready for me to finish it.
Hugo collected it from me when he was back playing footy and delivered it to town.
Zara had a blast, so much fun in fact I only got one photo.
Grrrrr...
One photo cannot make a blog post.
We went up to Adelaide yesterday, after an SOS to touch up Zara's roots and she offered to pop the dress on for some photos.
Yes please.
It's a little creasy, just smooth it in your mind.
Wow, just... wow!
The fabric was from Eliza's of Sunshine
It is a heavy satin or a light sateen, has some stretch and took a hot iron.
The extra weight of the fabric actually made the sew a lot easier. This dress is all bias, bias can be tricky, bias in a light silk would have had me rocking in a corner.
We also avoided having to line it for extra body.
The cowl is a bit stiff BUT gave her a little more modesty than a softer fabric would have.
I put the hem up by hand.
TV time for Mummy!
I love the back.
The waist has a grosgrain ribbon stitched into the seam that does up with a hook and eye, to give it some structure.
I used a standard zipper.
I have gone away from invisible zippers. They are easier to put in but they break and also gape if your fit is not perfect (or a little weight is gained).
I noticed at, the Marilyn Monroe exhibition I was very fortunate to attend, her  dresses all had standard zippers and heavy, metal teethed ones, at that!
They are a lot stronger.
~My Verdict~
I had such fun sewing this.
I must admit I was a little intimated when I first looked at the pattern but the fabric was inexpensive (under $5/m) so I jumped in.
It used a lot of cloth, 4 metres but there are some nice pieces left I could make a cami/sleep short set from.
It was a good design to make for an absent client as I could sew a lot of it by measurements and then fit and finish.
It is a gorgeous pattern and the instructions were very good. All the tips on fitting included and the directions for making the waist stay boosted my confidence and made me feel like I was doing 'proper' sewing.
It will also be a easy dress to alter, it has great seams to take in and would look equally lovely shortened to cocktail length.
Zara loves handbags, I was looking for her on eBay when I spotted a similar one to the one on the pattern packet.
I couldn't resist.
(I think it was under $10 with postage)
She didn't use it on the night (she has a gorgeous Nakedvice handbag that was much more modern) but Trixie is enjoying it with her dress-ups.
~Zara's Verdict~ 
Ok, so by now we all know that my mum is an absolute miracle worker. (blush NMK) Towards the end of last year I had my first University ball and I desperately wanted a new dress made for it. Mum made the majority of this absolutely stunning dress WITHOUT me to fit it on. Then she made a trip up to Adelaide (roughly a little over two hours) to fit it on me. She is insanely awesome and an absolute genius. 
Overall I ended up with a stunning dress, the colour, the fit and the style.
Once again, that is not a surprise. I mean it is Nicole $%&ing Keller.
Love you Mum x.
I am pretty lucky with my children, aren't I?
Thank you for reading... xx N

16 comments:

  1. It's just superb and I love how your pattern stash always comes up with the goods! Also that little handbag is divine. You should find an occasion to use it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lucky with mu stash. There has to be some advantage to being a harder ;)
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful dress. Your daughter looks gorgeous in it. Is the bodice part all cut as one piece? My daughter's prom is coming up and your dress is the first one I have shown her that she actually likes! I'm going to have a go at self drafting as this is OOP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cut as one and I am happy to take a picture for you but, I saw this listing today and the dress pattern is in it, twice! https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bulk-Lot-of-Sewing-Patterns-brand-VOGUE-and-VERY-EASY-VERY-VOGUE/153425985652?hash=item23b8e6c074:g:g1oAAOSw~atcOCYx
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  3. I have tried to reply a few times but it doesn't seem to have worked so apologies if you get a load at once!
    I would be very grateful for a photo of the pattern piece for the bodice and I will ask the eBay seller about postage to the UK.
    Thanks so much
    Lynsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wil hunt it out for you Lynsey. I wonder if the seller will let you buy just the one pattern? It can't hurt to ask?
      My absolute pleasure.
      xx N

      Delete
    2. The seller has marked the bundle down so I have bid on them, if you send me your email we can get you a copy (if i win)
      xx N

      Delete
    3. Hi Lynsey, sent me your email and we can discuss getting the pattern to you.
      xx N

      Delete
  4. I am pleased to see that Zara appropriately rates your talent - miracle worker is about right!!! This is absolutely stunning. Zara, you look absolutely beautiful. Nicole, I'm getting heart palpitations just thinking about all of that bias. SHUDDER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty intense, it didn't help that the cat kept doing skiddy's through my nicely laid out fabric.
      Thank you Inder, she is a good egg.
      xx N

      Delete
  5. Wow, Nicole. Just looking at all that bias gives me hives. You did a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a lot easier to handle in this weight fabric than in the blouse I made Elsa.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  6. This is gorgeous! My 18 year old wants to swap her 'can barely sew the ogden cami' mum for an 'awesome dress sewing' mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet but the Ogden takes some skills, if you can sew that you can definitely sew a dress.
      It's just fabric!
      xx N

      Delete
  7. Do you still have the instructions that accompany this pattern? I am currently trying to see the same one but am missing the last page of the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I do!
    Leave me a way to contact you and I can help.
    xx Nicole

    ReplyDelete