Friday, March 1, 2019

Vintage Overalls McCalls 5618 for Matilda

Another out there fabric from Matilda's remnant scavenge.
You know the story, I let Tildy choose whatever she wanted out of the remnant bin at Eliza's of Sunshine
She choose this fabulous (although a little intense) floral digital print.
The fabric is lush.
It is thick, stretchy, denim weight with a brushed finish.

After some discussions, Tildy and I went with a vintage McCalls 5618 overalls pattern.
She loved the juxtaposition of long legs with cap sleeves.
The waist tie is sewn into the side seams and fastens with a D-ring.
There is a built in elastic casing in the back which shapes it.
Which is good, because Matilda is ALL about the cinch.
The stretchy fabric is super comfortable to wear and I think it will layer well come the cooler weather.
It looks awesome over her purple merino long sleeve tee and paired with her long red boots (worn under the generous flair leg)
~Tilly's Verdict~
I love the patterns on it and it looks really cool because mum spent all that time to make it symmetrical.
I love the big flower on the back.
I love jumpsuits and I love funky patterns so it is absolutely perfect for me.
When I saw the fabric at Eliza's I just saw a blob of colour and I straight away asked mum if I could have it.
~My Verdict~
A very cool pattern.
I kept the over size collar (Tildy LOVED it) but I did fold some of the width out of the lower leg as they were seriously floppy. I think the boot leg is a more modern cut.
The cap sleeves are self facing so have a very neat finish. The front zipper is set between the front and the facings so again, a very neat finish if you leave it a bit more open.
I am not sure whether I will sew it again but I did enjoy sewing this one.

Thank you for reading... xx N

6 comments:

  1. Such a fun overalls pattern and must have been a fun sew with lining up the fabric for cutting ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cute pattern isn't it, sort of rompers but overall type legs. Love the little yoke detail.
      My matching up isn't perfect and it wasn't printed perfectly 'true' but I did my best and Tildy generally doesn't stand still... ;)
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  2. These scream fun! What a gorgeous outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Tamara, they certainly scream something.
      xx N

      Delete