Monday, March 11, 2019

McCalls 6598 Romper for Matilda

So, you remember the gorgeous blouse I made Lidia?
I had some largish but odd shaped pieces to use up.

Liddy asked if I could make her a romper.
I had McCalls 6598 in my stash, in a size 12 which I thought may work.
The bottoms were super full so I omitted the side seam and overplayed the front and back pattern, raising the leg to use the lace at the hem.
I basted the whole thing together and tried it on Liddy.
It didn't work, it fit but was just too juvenile.
So, we Tilly popped it on.
By tightening the waist and chest elastic, we made it fit her.
I had to cut the front from the plain denim (which had the visible fade line) so I used a flower motif from my stash to try and tie is together.
Rather than use binding and make a casing on the inside of the romper I used some heavy cotton lace and made the casing on the outside.
The lace is a little too white but hopefully it will all wash up similar shades.
A few romps in the sea should fix it.
It is a little bloomy in the bottom but is lovely and cool to wear.
According to Tildy.
~Tildy's Verdict~
I love the shoulders.
The lace looks stunning because mum took all that time making it symmetrical. 
The pale blue works so well with the lace and makes it extraordinary.
I just love it!
~My Verdict~
You have to love using up all the cut of fabric #ninjacutting.
You have to love a sew that can be saved!
This romper was not going to work for Lidia but Tilly LOVES it.
Tildy is 10 but quite small, the fact that the size 12 pattern fits means it probably is best for a fabric with some stretch, like a terry towelling or interlock.
It was a super quick sew, 2 hours, even with all my fiddling with the seams finishes and hand sewing.
I think this would so cute if you could get your hands on some of Liesl Gibsons knits like City Weekend. A simple pattern to show off the beautiful prints and it would be so comfortable to wear.
Thank you for reading ... xx N

8 comments:

  1. So cute and pretty and fresh! It is like a cross between a turn-of-the-century tea dress and bathing costume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is!
      Such a good description Inder.
      I am happy to use up all the fabric and have something she loves.
      Thank you
      xx N

      Delete
  2. Well done Nicole. It looks made for Tilly. And you really are the cutting ninja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I am really, really trying to use up my fabric now.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. The style is super cute on her! But how can she be ten? That means I’ve been following your sewing for a whole decade! Extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete